Elizabeth E. Auger, DPM provides treatment for skin conditions affecting the foot and ankle. Skin conditions can be unsightly and cause embarrassment. In some cases, serious consequences can also result if skin conditions are left untreated. Patients with diabetes are at special risk, but anyone with a skin condition of the foot should consult with a podiatrist to get help treating the problem. Dr. Auger can offer a comprehensive approach to treatment for patients in Salt Lake City and surrounding areas who need a foot doctor to help with skin conditions.
What are Skin Conditions?
Many different kinds of skin conditions can affect the foot including:
- Allergic Contact Dermatitis: This condition occurs as a result of exposure to an allergen in shoes or boots, such as rubber accelerators or chromates that are used in tanning leather shoes.
- Athlete’s Foot: Athlete’s foot is a contagious fungal infection that you can develop if you come into contact with an infected surface or infected person. It can cause itchiness and cracked skin and can be difficult to get rid of without help from a foot doctor.
- Calluses: Calluses are a thickening of the skin caused by pressure or friction. They can become painful and require treatment. People with diabetes or low blood circulation should always seek treatment for calluses.
- Infections: Foot infections can impact the skin, the bones, and the bursa. Infections can become serious and can cause sepsis. Antibiotic or antifungal treatment is needed.
- Plantar Warts: Plantar warts are benign skin growths on the foot that are caused by the HPV virus. They are usually about the size of a pencil eraser, and can be removed through procedures such as laser removal off the wart.
- Xerosis: Xerosis is unnaturally dry skin of the feet that occurs when too much water and oil is lost.
Dr. Auger treats these conditions and other problems you may be experiencing with any part of your foot or ankle. You want your entire foot to be healthy, including the skin, so your mobility and comfort are not affected by any foot-health issues.
Symptoms of Skin Conditions
The symptoms of skin conditions can vary depending upon which specific condition is affecting you. You may have redness, itchiness, raised bumps, visible warts, throbbing, and other obvious symptoms of a skin problem. If infection or other complications develop, you may also experience substantial pain and mobility could even be impacted.
How Does Dr. Auger Treat Skin Conditions?
Treatment for a skin condition will vary, as each skin problem affecting the foot will need its own remedy. From changing your footwear to using topical creams or oral medications, there are many things you can do to improve the skin of your feet and to bolster the overall health of your feet. Dr. Auger will work with you in the development of a personalized treatment plan specific to meet your needs.
Contact Elizabeth E. Auger, DPM Today
If you live in Salt Lake City, West Jordan, Sandy, Utah or surrounding areas and you have a problem with the skin of your feet, call Dr. Auger today. You can make an appointment with a caring and knowledgeable foot doctor who will help you to clear up your problem and keep your feet healthy and safe.